image1 image2 image3

Things That Happen To You When You Travel Alone

In 2012 after a painful breakup, I packed my bags and went on a solo trip to Hong Kong with only one goal in mind: watch one of my favorite bands alone. And do everything on my own. Finally. I had no itinerary and no idea what I wanted to do so I booked a few weeks before the concert and went. What I experienced after that trip was so much more than I could've asked for. It was an eye opener.

Back then I was a scared mid-twenty who was so used to being with my partner or my friends when I go places. Without the company of other people, I couldn’t find happiness and fulfilment in my day to day.  I never truly enjoyed solitude until that short Hong Kong visit that became so much more than a concert trip. It was a turning point in my adult life that I’m glad happened in the right time.


Starting with that spark of courage, I slowly challenged myself into taking adventures without waiting for the company or approval of other people. I became more acquainted with myself which I never really experienced in the past 26 years of my life. Traveling and the thought of being in another place helped me a great deal in dealing with my personal challenges. Now I have been living independently; I'm no longer the scared girl who doesn't know how to enjoy life by herself.


Some people may not be interested in the prospect of traveling alone but in case you’d like to consider it, remember, you have quite a number of exciting revelations and helpful gains right in front of you when you go solo.


Going places helped me immensely as a person, and that's one of the reasons why I started this blog. 


You feel braver and you do get braver

There will be times when you don’t know what you’re doing but you’ll eventually feel that it’s okay, to fail and to still try--that a little surprise is not that bad. Gain experience and sooner you’ll no longer feel afraid.

You get to meet some wonderful souls

One thing’s for sure when you’re traveling alone: you have the perfect opportunity to meet people who would want to talk and be friends with you because they also long to interact with someone. And you will be amazed by their stories and experiences. Learn from them.

Banteay Srei, Cambodia
Preah Kahn, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Things and people inspire you to be your best and go take on more adventures

Have you ever read or heard stories of adventures and misadventures from other fellow travelers? Exciting, right?  And inspiring, too I must say. Sometimes you’ll start imagining yourself taking the same trips and paths that they’ve had. You never know: the next person you meet might change your life.

You gain wisdom, patience and endurance

When you travel you become more humble and realize that there’s a number of things bigger and more important than your own worries. You also become stronger in determination and spirit. And how you deal with every situation thrown at you add up to the treasure of learning you can use for the rest of your life.


Golden Palace, Thailand 



You get to try awesome food and activities, and see places that will take your breath away

There’s a reason why UNESCO declares several wonders of the world. The earth is a wonderful planet, and to stay rooted to one place all your life is such a shame. We are extremely lucky that diversity and cultures exist in our lives. 

You collect some amazing memories you can share with your family and friends

Wouldn't it be amazing to be able to tell many stories to your friends and family about things you've seen and try outside of your comfort zone? It feels great to inspire other people to take their own journeys and adventures while they’re alive.
Damnoen Saduak Floating Market, Thailand 






Bangkok, Thailand
You get back to your home with a renewed energy
Nothing beats stress and fatigue more than a long and nice vacation. It works, every time. The feeling is like no other that's why traveling is quite addicting.

You become a part of something truly beautiful in places that you go to

If you think there’s no point in busting your ass to work everyday, just imagine the places you can go to because of your hard-earned money. In my opinion, that’s enough reason to keep you going forward in life.


Geo Park Hong Kong
Philippines

You discover something new about yourself that you’re not aware of
Sometimes we’re so preoccupied by our work and social activities that we no longer have enough moments to be alone and introspect. When you travel alone you have plenty of time to talk to yourself, challenge yourself and depend on yourself. And the revelations will come out one by one much to your delight.

The excitement of doing something is magnified three times or more

There’s absolutely nothing that can excite me more than traveling. Nothing. Not even the prospect of a new love or relationship. 


Central Police Station, Hong Kong















Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment