image1 image2 image3

Thailand's Golden Treasures: Three Temples of Splendour

Bangkok Diaries Part 1:

If you visit Bangkok, and you should even once in your life, it's a must to see and enter three of the country's most popular temples: The Wat Phra Keaw, Wat Poh, and Wat Arun.

image


image


image
While planning your itinerary, make sure you see all three of them in one day--you really could. Because if you do what I did, which was to split all three in separate days, you'll end up spending more money on train tickets and taxi fares, and find yourself walking more kilometers under the scorching sun. Not very smart of me, but since I didn't have full control of my day-to-day activities in Bangkok, i just tried to enjoy some of the new streets I discovered going to the temples using three different routes. 
The Golden Palace or Wat Phra Keaw

image


image


image
Inside the Golden Palace: Emerald Buddha Temple, Ramakian Murals- the Thai national epic, and Outside the Complex
Quick tip: Don't wear shorts, sleeveless, or short skirts when you go visit the temples, unless you want to experience wearing a traditional Thai sarong free of rent. ;) 

image


image


image
Bangkok's temples will easily brush off any negative or bad vibes you have once you see them. The Golden Palace and the Golden Reclining Buddha took my breath away. Jaw-dropping pieces of history and culture all preserved spectacularly in sprawling complex of temples and mini-temples made the hot trips worth it. All the details inside and the golds adorning these temples were dreamlike. Truly they are highlights of a trip to Thailand. 
Wat Pho and the giant Reclining Buddha

image


image


image
Seeing them all made me sigh multiple times. The reclining Buddha is truly a must-see. Such a shame that I haven't memorised any Buddhist prayers because seeing a country that believes in Buddhism is one of my must-do as a traveler. I felt so happy to have seen so many Buddha images and sculptures and be able to say thanks for the wisdom and guidance that I have received in the past year.

image


image
There was a time in my life when Buddhist teachings helped me greatly to overcome an obstacle. My visit to Cambodia and Thailand became a personal pilgrim that I rewarded myself this year. To be able to see marvellous Buddhist temples like these three was pretty emotional and special. 
One thing though that I wish I did while in Bangkok was to attend a Buddhism lesson and meditation class. Maybe that's a good reason to go back. =)
Wat Arun
(Across Chao Phraya River)

image


image


image
From our hotel, Siamaze, in Rachadapisek, we took the MRT to Silom Line and got off at Saphan Taksin Station (or S6 Station). Then, took the Chao Phraya Express Boat to Ta Chang Pier (No.9). The gate of the Grand Palace is a five minute walk from there. Wat poh Temple is across the Grand Palace, and to reach Wat Arun, you have to go back to Ta Chang Pier and cross the river for 3 Baht. Super easy.
Tip: Try to visit the majority of the temples to make the most of your visit in Thailand. Not included in this route map is Wat Poh.

image
Here's a photo of me on top of Wat Arun.

image
(Copyright: All photos are taken by the author.)

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment