image1 image2 image3

Book Review: Everything Matters by Ron Currie Jr.

"Junior was born with the knowledge that in 36 years, the world will end when a giant comet hit the earth and everything in it will cease to exist. Zero survivors. He knew this, thanks but no thanks, to the strange voices in his head. That and the knowledge of a lot more things no normal person can know-- like the brutal story of his girlfriend’s past or his mother’s secret addiction to alcohol, provided to him by the 'voices'. And knowing that in a few years the world will end, Junior came to adulthood burdened by the question, “Will anything I do matter?” Inevitably, not putting much thought and effort to his existence, his life became a series of failures -- as a son, a brother, and a lover. Everything seemed to go spiralling down in his life. Then came the chance for him to save humanity. With his 'special' knowledge and remarkable intelligence, he was able to redeem himself. Only to find out that all of his hard works will go to waste. And before it was too late, life game him another opportunity -- a special chance to do it all again. Junior  stopped caring less and started to learn that, even though you know the world will end soon, everything still matters."

I honestly don’t know the author-- it was his first novel, and I had no idea if the book is going to be a good buy (it's a little expensive), but I picked it up anyways. Because just like what the title says, I believe that everything (in our life) matters. However miserable you think your life is -- things, however small they are, matter. They’re not just there for no reason, they have meaning and purpose.

The book was written rather differently, with chapters providing different voices and point of views; it's refreshing and easy to read. I’m not sure with other readers, but it somehow made it much easier to connect with the characters -- them narrating their stories directly to you and the voices inside Junior’s head providing a morbid humor that will make you say what the heck most of the time. I’ve managed to finish it in less than a week (an achievement for me these days), all the time imagining seeing the book on the big screen. I really think it would make a funny and poignant film, the type of films that I really enjoy watching. There were so much misery and let-downs in the story that you would have this perpetual feeling of pity for everyone. And almost all throughout, when you’re about to get depressed of their miserable state, you'll find these hilarious and crazy jests that’ll make you burst with a dorky laugh or stop in the middle because what just happened left you dumbfounded.

More significantly for me, and this is why I picked up this book, is cause I’m pretty sure that it will be a touching and inspiring read. It made me feel so much grateful of the things that are most important in my life -- my family, my friends, and all my inspirations. You see, in the end, it was really all about love. How, when you love a person, you’d do anything for them to keep them from experiencing a hell of a life they might go through or feeling the pains you yourself have encountered. No matter what, you will always try to protect them, even if it means undergoing the same heartaches and disappointments over and over again. Knowing that even if at the end of the day, after you’ve done everything that you can and things still screw up, you are left with the fact that you did your part. And you tried to prove how much love and devotion you have, trying your best to make things better –- somehow.

It sure left a smile on my face; I hugged it when I was done. I don’t know how I can easily let go of Junior, his lovely family, and his crazy life story. I didn't want it to end. I might just re-read the book sooner than later just to laugh again at all the beautiful and painful moments of their doomed lives. So anyways, if you are at a point in your life when you feel like everything sucks, read Everything Matters, and I tell you, you might start to look at things pretty differently.

;) xo

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment